Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pumpkin Scones

Yummy note: This year, I had made some homemade hot cocoa in a jar to give to a few girlfriends, and I wanted something tasty to go along with that for them to enjoy. I thought, what would be delicious with a cup of cocoa.. shortbread, muffins, cookies, or wait.. it hit me, a scone! I mean that was my favorite coffee shop treat when I go. Hello, a Starbucks' like pumpkin scone would hit the spot perfect! A scone also would hold up and taste nice even if I wrapped it up a day ahead of time. Actually this pumpkin scone recipe held up for about 4-5 days before they started to loose their excitement and started to go on the dry side. So I went searching for that perfect Starbucks copycat recipe as I had tried making up a scone recipe before, and well they ended up a little too dry. So no time to play around, I wanted the close to the real deal as I could. And I found this fun little site called Lattes and Life and decided that was the one, since Tiffany had blogged about these pumpkin scones, not once, but twice on her blog, so they must be good, right?! And the verdict.. Guilty, indeed, some wonderfully flavorful pumpkin scones. My dear friends that were lucky enough to get some scones, here is the "famous" recipe that I spoke of... :) I hope you take some time and bake and enjoy another batch.

Pumpkin Scones 
(like those from Starbucks but better since they are made with more love :) 


Ingredients: 
For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or canned pumpkin)
3 tbsp half and half
1 egg
6 tbsp cold butter (cut into slices/cubes)

For Plain Frosting:
1 cup plus 1 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk

For Spiced Glaze:
1 cup plus 3 tbsp powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ginger
pinch of cloves


Directions: 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Place dry ingredients and cold butter in a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, just cut in the butter with forks, as if you were making a pie crust, continue to cut in the butter until the texture starts to look a bit like cornmeal. In another bowl, mix together pumpkin, half and half, and egg with a whisk.


Fold in wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and form a ball.

Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a rectangle or a circle also works ok. Just make sure the dough is about 1 inch thick and begin cutting wedges.



Bake scones for about 14-16 minutes on parchment paper or a silicon mat, until they appear done. Let them cool completely before frosting them.


For the plain frosting, mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Spoon onto scones and let it set up before drizzling on the spiced glaze. For the spiced glaze, mix powdered sugar, milk, and spices until all ingredients are incorporated. This will be thicker than the plain glaze. If you need to adjust consistency of the glazes, just add in more powdered sugar or milk until you achieve your frosting zen. Haha, do what you like though, I like the thicker frosting, so I went a touch on the heavier side of both, it makes for a prettier set up, plus who doesn't love more frosting??


Back to the spiced glaze, drizzle over white frosted scones. The scones are less messy to eat once the frosting has set up a bit, but hey, I'm not watching so, go ahead and enjoy it as you wish :)

1 comment:

  1. Loved these when you made them for Christmas....can't wait to make some today :)

    ReplyDelete