Monday, November 14, 2011

Caramelized Chickpeas

Yummy note: Even before picking my assignment this month for the Secret Recipe Club, I knew I wanted to challenge myself a bit more than normal. I wanted to use what I already had in my kitchen to make something, so that meant no crazy long grocery list to get stuff. I was excited to see I was assigned Averie's blog called Love Veggies and Yoga. It was perfect, as I found lots of simple recipes, fresh ingredients, and not calling for too many weird ingredients that I didn't have. She had some great healthy recipes to pick from, not to mention even some sweet treats. Just recently, Averie posted this-- can I say I can't wait to make her newest creation of these butterfinger bars, as I have lots of leftover candy corn! My final three was narrowed down to this hearty vegetarian southwestern soup; the recipe with ketchup in the title, as anyone that knows me well, my daughter and I love ketchup;  or the fake me out honey roasted "peanuts" recipe featuring chickpeas.  Drum roll, please... the one I ended up picking was the Caramelized Chickpeas!   

Caramelized Chickpeas
(aka Caramelized Garbanzo Beans)

Ingredients:1 can (15 oz.) of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 - 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
a pinch or two of coarse salt for dusting at the end
Directions: Drain and rinse your can of chickpeas. Stir the sugars and cinnamon together. Put sugar-cinnamon mixture in a bowl or a covered container. Roll the chickpeas in the sugary mixture, or shake container gently to coat your chickpeas in all of the sugary goodness. I like to keep a hand free and fairly clean in the kitchen nowdays with this little chickpea cruising around now getting into more stuff.
I love to shake things, mommy--let me help!









Place coated chickpeas on a foil or parchment covered pan or cookie sheet. This is SUPER important. As Averie noted on her blog this mix "...will have you cursing." Indeed, I see why. lol. It gets very sticky and gooey, but oh, so delicious... so just prepare yourself for caramely mess :)
Bake the chickpeas at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or until bubbly good. Make sure you watch it closely towards the end, as you don't want to burn your caramelized chickpeas, so I always go by the "nose knows" in the kitchen so when it smells good, it is probably about done.
Allow chickpeas to cool before indulging, as they get crunchier as they cool, then enjoy!


Oh, and I forgot to mention... the crispy little caramel left bits, aka, awesome toppers for my caramel coffee drinks I make! mmmm...  


If you'd like to participate in the monthly secret recipe fun, or learn more about our group, check out the site http://www.secretrecipeclub.com.


26 comments:

  1. Oooh, awesome! I can't wait to give these a try! Hopefully I can find a can tucked away in my pantry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      Io...

      Delete
  2. This is definitely yummy! These beans in the can, are they cooked or just soaked? Because I get to buy dry chickpeas here in Singapore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. great question, DV, I was looking into this a bit when I made this dish and found this link to help. I've never used the dried form, but it would take more time to prepare, as you need to soak and cook them before using them in this recipe. Good luck! thanks for stopping by! http://www.ehow.com/how_4524413_cook-dried-garbanzo-beans-chickpeas.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my goodness these look so good! Perfect snack food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful treat for snacks. I can't wait to try this recipe. This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
    Miz Helen
    http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/11/brussels-sprouts-salad-with-warm-bacon.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're also called chi-chi beans :).

    What a perfect recipe selection... I have everything I need in the house, and I'll make them for a family gathering this week.

    I hope you'll stop by and see my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Marinated Grilled Chicken.

    :)
    ButterYum
    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/honey-vinaigrette-grilled-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. They turned out great looking and good for you for making something from things you had ON HAND. I love when I can go 'shopping in my own pantry' and make something. Good for you :)

    And make the Butterfinger bars :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great idea! I can't wait to try it. I just love SRC reveal days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, chickpeas as a crunchy snack replacement to nuts. Could you spice up the mixture, to play with the sweet coating, think that would be good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that will be very yummy in my tummy! I adore roasted chickpeas but had never thought of serving them sweet! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great -- so fun to be in SCR with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a recipe like this on pinterest but never actually tried it! I definitely will now! Thanks again for the guac recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, that sounds really interesting!

    If you haven't already, I'd love it if you'd check out my SRC recipe for Crockpot Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds delicious, I'll have to give these a try.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group 'A' SRC recipe this month: Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great kid-friendly recipe - they probably wouldn't even know they were eating chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How utterly brilliant. And so beautifully displayed. And I bet my kids would even eat them when they normally wouldn't. And this would also be perfect for people with allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it. I'm a huge fan of chickpeas and can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a good idea. Definitely will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am going to have to try these. I am always looking for simple snacks for my kids. I love how you found a use for the drippings too. No waste!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my word!!! I need to print this recipe out now! My vegetarian hubby and my youngest child ADORE chickpeas. This would be PERFECT for us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just blog hopping and found your blog. I was going to mark this page to make later, however, I already have a batch in the oven. Can't wait until they are finished! Thanks for this recipe, oh and I did bookmark your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do have brown sugar in the house, but not white. Can I use honey instead of white sugar? If so, how much honey should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Miss C.

    glad you like the blog.
    We haven't tried honey instead of sugar on these.

    But this website
    http://pickyourown.org/SubstitutingHoneyForSugar.htm

    suggests a little more than 3/4 (or 7/8) cup of honey for every cup of sugar may be substituted.

    As for this recipe.

    So if the recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of sugar, you could probably go just shy of a 3/8 cup of honey. (honestly i'd just go a little less than 1/2 cup)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    N1...

    ReplyDelete