Wednesday, January 4, 2012

homemade egg noddles

Yummy note: While doing some blog organizing, I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe yet! Yikes! I love this simple, down home egg noddle recipe. It is an old family favorite, usually served with canned beef by my Aunt Vera. My mom's sister has been serving this for as long as I can remember, and we just love it. Out of town family members always ask for Vera's homemade canned beef and noodles when there is a gathering, so you know it is a keeper recipe! :) Over the summer before school started my daughter, my mom, and I stopped by my aunt Vera and uncle Eric's house just to make noodles! I don't think I've helped make noodles with my aunt in many many years, definitely grade school days probably when I used to go to their farm and hang out there in the summer time. So making this recipe with my little one was a big treat to share. We had such a great time, that Alicia enjoys making them with me every so often for a treat. Usually my aunt makes these noodles from memory so forgive me if these ingredient portions aren't just exact, but I've tried to measure it out in the numerous times I've made it since our trip that day. I think it makes roughly a pound of dry pasta. Either way, enjoy this basic egg noodle recipe that really hits home.


Homemade Egg Noodles

Ingredients:
1 whole egg
3 egg yolks
a pinch or so of salt (about 1 tsp) 
give or take about 2 cups flour
may need to add a teaspoon or so of water later

Directions:
Separate 3 eggs. Keep the egg yolks in a bowl, and reserve your egg whites for another recipe. :) Add in another whole egg into the egg yolks. With a mixer or a whisk, beat the eggs well. Should look a little foamy. Next add in pinch of salt, and start add in your flour. Add in flour, a half of a cup at a time. Stir mixture until well incorporated, once it appears to be coming together, use your hands to tell if the texture of the dough is correct. You want it not sticky and a bit smooth. So if it is too wet, add a little more flour, and then if it feels too dry and crackly, add a little water. Next place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead the dough a bit until it is a fairly consistent texture in the dough. Then begin to roll out the dough with a rolling pin until about a 1/4 inch thick or thinner. Then run your noddles through your pasta machine according to directions. You may want to over your dough with a damp towel between batches of noodles.


















Let noodles air dry for later use or toss into soup or other dishes for a yummy meal. If you are making noodles for later, place dried noodles in a freezer bag and freeze for later use. For super simple dish, toss noddles in a pot of boiling salted water and boil for about 5 minutes. It is a very quick cooking noodle, so it shouldn't be too mushy when cooked. Cook to al dente and serve with a little butter and herbs and call it lunch. :) 

Aunt Vera and Alicia using the pasta machine to make egg noodles!

Yummy note: My Aunt Vera just rolls the dough very thin and cuts them my hand with a sharp knife. So if you don't have a noodle maker, don't worry, using a rolling pin and knife is just perfect. This was the first time actually that my aunt used a pasta machine which was a treat for her! Cutting them by hand, may take a bit longer, but it works fine, as you just need to roll out the dough thinner. So don't rule out making homemade pasta because you don't have a machine! 

Recipe linked up to A Little Nosh and Lady Behind the Curtain recipe parties! 

No comments:

Post a Comment