Friday, April 2, 2010

5 Minute Chocolate Cake in a Cup

Yummy note: The other day my aunt sent me this email the other day and it was entitled "5 minute chocolate cake" and it caught my eye. I knew immediately, I needed to try it. My curiosity got the best of me, as I think I didn't lasted a whole day after I got that email and took a shot at this. First off, I called it "cake" in quotes, as I think mine turned more into a brownie-like. I believe I microwaved it a bit too long. So be sure and try and gauge that better in your microwaves. Now, looking back, I totally should of took it out way sooner, as then I probably would have gotten a molten lava cake like version instead probably, instead of a denser brownie cake. The texture of the cake was very spongy and porous like in some parts, (that I didn't overbake),but the flavor was pretty good and not too overpowering chocolaty! Indeed, it was a quick 5 minute chocolate cake fix. It's like a quick version of a chocolate "cup" cake :) Next time, I am planning on varying the flavor a bit when I make it... so we'll see what comes up... thinking a mocha chocolate cake, or a white chocolate cake, or maybe vanilla.



5 Minute Chocolate Cake in a Cup

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug (Microwave-safe)


All of the dry ingredients measured out. I thought this cup was originally big enough. Nope. Too small to add liquid ingredients, without major overflow. So indeed a big microwave-safe mug would be good. Cake expanding in microwave... then falling at the end.


Directions:
Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well... Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. Again, this is the part, where to really watch the time, or else you might get a more dense cake, instead of a moist airy cake if you overcook it. Garnish and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment