Sunday, April 20, 2014

Lemon Coolers

Yummy note: I have a slight addiction to Girl Scout cookies... I could post a picture of the big box full of different Girl Scout Cookies I’ve bought over the last month or so, but I’ll leave that out just to not embarrass anyone...wink wink. Let’s just say that I fully supported the Girl Scouts this year and consumed my fair share of cookies. This month’s Secret Recipe Club member had me wanting to eat even more cookies than I already had! Ugh! But I knew I had to try atleast one of these cookie recipes out from Dessert Before Dinner. So my plan is that if I recreate these copycat-like Girl Scout cookies I could eat them all-year round, instead of stock piling cookies! I knew these Lemon Coolers (or Savannah Smiles) were first, as I really like lemon flavors and I had a feeling these would not disappoint! Stephy from Dessert Before Dinner was right, they were sweet and tart. Oh, the Samoas- those are next on my list, the latest box wasn't enough caramel for me, so I think this recipe might just work. These Lemon Coolers were flavorful and it was such a fun spring-like dessert; lemony, light, and delicious. I even modified them easily to be a dairy-free cookie, so everyone in the family could enjoy them. 


Lemon Coolers

Ingredients:
½ cup butter (or non-dairy alternative)
¾ cup powdered sugar
2 tsp lemon extract or zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour (plus another tablespoon or so, if needed)
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup milk (or non-dairy alternative)
additional powdered sugar for dusting cookie

Directions:
Cream sugar and butter together. Then mix in the vanilla, lemon juice, milk, and lemon zest. Add cornstarch, flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix dough until it is all combined. Place the dough on plastic wrap and shape into a log. Wrap in foil and freeze the dough for alteast one hour. Slice the log into thin slices and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Leave the cookies in the circle shapes or cut them in half moons for smaller cookies. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the cookies start to take shape and puff up a bit. Try not to overbake the cookies, as they stay nice and soft and flaky, and not too crispy. Once the cookies have cooled, coat them in the powdered sugar.


Mix dough together until it is nice and creamy.

Form the dough into a log shape and freeze. I wrapped mine in plastic wrap first and then in aluminum foil. 

Slice the log of frozen cookie dough and place on cookie sheet to bake.
Dunk the cooled lemon cookies into powdered sugar and coat until covered.

Next, enjoy some Lemon Coolers!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am addicted to GS Cookies. I am a Samoa girl and love them frozen. ha! These look like I need to expand my horizons. :)

    I had your blog this month and LOVED the Breakfast Pizza. Thanks so much!

    Chris (melecotte.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon cookies/desserts are just perfect for spring! Would you believe I've never had the GS Lemon Coolers before? I guess I found what I liked (thin mints & samoas) and never tried anything else. For shame, right? These sound amazeballs and I bet they're just so much more incredible made from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FABULOUS recipe, so inventive too, a GREAT SRC pick! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked this recipe! I haven't made any of my faux GS cookies in a long time but this made me remember them all over again. Great SRC post

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm...those would go perfectly with tea! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am absolutely thrilled to have this recipe!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made these in years. Thanks for reminding me how good they are.

    ReplyDelete