Saturday, April 7, 2012

yogurt blueberry muffins

Yummy note: Becky from Baking and Cooking, a Tale of Two Loves guest posted on Kim's site called the Farmers Wife.  I immediately fell in love with these blogs, for some reason, I got a nice welcome home cooked feeling from them, so that is why I had to try out this blueberry muffin for this month's challenge. A challenge you ask, it was from Tina at Mom's Crazy Cooking, where every month a group of bloggers get together and make the same exact thing.. well sort of with our own spins on it. So you'll see here a big ole list of blueberry muffin recipes to try out all in one spot! So what I loved most about this recipe, is that I could easily adapt it to our dairy allergies in the family.  I am seriously Kim's newest fan of her site, as I think I have pinned several recipes to try out already! With an easy soy yogurt substitute, it worked great! Just note, for those new to soy yogurt, not all soy yogurts are dairy-free, so check labels and tiny print very carefully.

Yogurt Blueberry Muffins

Original recipe I used with dairy-free adaptions located here 
http://www.the-farmers-wife.net/2011/06/yogurt-blueberry-muffins-from-baking.html
 
















Ingredients:

Muffin batter:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten Could use Egg Beaters
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. milk (I used soy milk)
1 (6 oz.) carton yogurt (I used strawberry soy yogurt)
1 c. fresh blueberries (Original said to use frozen, non-defrosted blueberries.)

















Crumb topping:
1/3 cup sliced almonds
4 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon





















Directions:

Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix egg, oil, milk, and yogurt in another small bowl or large measuring cup. Pour into dry ingredients, stirring only enough to moisten.





















Fold in blueberries. Yummy note: If you'd like you could also fold in some of the almonds at this point into the muffin batter as well.  




















If you’d like to add a crumb topping, combine almonds, sugar and cinnamon and keep off to the side. Line muffin pans with paper muffin cups or grease the pans. Scoop out about an ice cream scoop or so (roughly about 2/3 full) of the blueberry muffin batter.















Sprinkle with your crumb topping if desired. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees oven for about 20 min or until golden brown.
















Yummy note: What I love about this recipe, is that these muffins stay moist for several days. 
 






Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I love the use of the yogurt and the almonds in the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the almonds make the topping extra good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the almond crumb topping!
    #20

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know these muffins can stay fresh for a few day. Seems to be a keeper recipe to me :D

    "like" you at Facebook :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks really moist and delicious, I love to try this muffin.
    eRecipe

    ReplyDelete