Sunday, December 9, 2012

Asian Lettuce Wraps

Yummy note:  I have enjoyed an Asian flair lately in my cooking. Usually once a week now, in my meal plans I have started to incorporate an Asian night. I'm not sure if it is the easy to toss ingredients together to make something delicious, or if it is healthier, or perhaps it has to do with it is really easy to make dairy-free for my family. I find these Asian Lettuce Wraps great to make as a main meal dish. They are fairly quick to make and I often have almost all of the staple ingredients in my cabinet which makes for an affordable meal. I hope you enjoy these lettuce wraps as much as we do.



Lettuce Wraps


Ingredients:
a head of lettuce (or about 10 lettuce leafs)
1 lb ground turkey, beef, or chicken
a handful or about a cup of shredded carrots (optional)
about a cup of diced mushrooms
1/2 white onion-chopped (I often use dried onion flakes or powder if not available)
2 tbsp garlic minced
1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1-2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetable or sesame oil
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
handful of thin sliced green onions, optional




Directions:  
Brown the meat. Then add in onion, garlic, shredded carrots, water chestnuts, soy sauce, vinegar, and red chili pepper flakes.  

After the carrots and mushrooms begin to soften, add in hoisin sauce, green onions, and extra oil if needed. Cook until mixed together and green onions begin to wilt, just for a few minutes really.

Serve in large lettuce leafs like a wrap or serve in a tortilla shell too if you wish. 
To garnish you can also add in fried thin rice noodles to the top. 

No comments:

Post a Comment